About Health and Safety
Metro ECSU's Health & Safety/Building Management Assistance Program provides on-site management assistance services to school districts by assisting districts in:
- Management and monitoring of air quality programs
- Management and monitoring of hazard prevention programs for industrial arts shops and school lab settings
- Performing annual courtesy Mock OSHA inspections
- Monitoring to assure compliance to regulatory agencies
- Offering training to comply with local, state and federal regulations on Chemical Hygiene and Unlicensed Electrical Training
- Identifying concerns regarding MDE Safety Policy Letter and assist schools with project submittals for MDE approval
- Representing districts when contesting OSHA citations
- Providing updates on opportunities for Minnesota OSHA match funding programs
- Providing update on actions involving legislation and fire code changes
- Online training programs in a wide variety of health and safety related topics through Coastal Training Technologies
Monthly meetings are generally held the first Thursday of each month from 9:00am to 11:30am at Metro ECSU, 2 Pine Tree Drive, Training Room (first floor), Arden Hills, MN 55112.
Upcoming Meeting Dates:
- January 9th, 2020 – Active Shooter Protocols with David Stichter (Event Flyer PDF)
- February 6th, 2020 – Radon with Daniel Tranter
- March 5th, 2020 – Opioids with Keith Narr and Stephanie Devich
These meetings provide updated information to assist districts and schools in dealing with health and safety issues and developing programs that assist in compliance with regulations and mandates as well as the protection of health and safety conditions and materials in a school environment. Meeting topics have included:
- Employee Right to Know (ETRK)
- OSHA Recordkeeping and First Reports of Injury
- ADA Accessibility
- Science Lab Safety
- Emergency Preparedness
- Hazardous Waste Assessments
- Fire Code Updates
- Electrical Code, ARC Flash, NFPA 70E
- Fall Protection
Professional Development and Training
Metro ECSU aims to provide quality professional development and training for a variety of district staff. Registration for training can be done online by going to our Events Registration page (https://metroecsu.myquickreg.com/register/event/). Currently, the following courses have been scheduled at Metro ECSU.
- January 6th, 2020, Unlicensed Electrician Training (Event Flyer PDF)
- February 4th, 2020, Chemical Hygiene Training (Event Flyer PDF)
- March 12th & 13th, 2020, OSHA 10-hr General Industry Training (Event Flyer PDF)
- April 2nd, 2020, Machine Safety Standards in the Classroom & Workplace (Event Flyer PDF)
- June 16th, 2020, Unlicensed Electrician Training
- August 11th, 2020, Unlicensed Electrician Training
Additional Training Resources
- Minnesota Department of Health Healthy School Environments Training
- Minnesota Department of Labor Continuing Education for Licensees
Metro ECSU, in partnership with Safe Schools, a world-wide leader in the production of work place safety training, offers a variety of internet-based training opportunities.
If you would like more information on the trainings offered please contact the staff below.
Bianca Virnig, Facilities and Environmental Health and Safety Specialist
Angela Skrade, Program Coordinator
Conference Room Rental
We offer state-of-the-art conference room rental services to both members and non-members. For more information go to the Conference Room Rental page.
Metro ECSU provides administrative services to its members in several areas. For more information go to the Administrative Services page.
Metro ECSU Publications
During the school year Metro ECSU offers the Annual Class Size Study, Composite Calendar for All Metro Districts and edNews. For more information go to the Metro ECSU Publications page.
Metro ECSU Online Registration
View all listings and events offered by Metro ECSU and register at our Event Calendar page.
Cooperative Purchasing Services
A wide variety of products are available with our program, the Cooperative Purchasing Connection. Vendor contracts are established through a formal bid process conducted by Minnesota Service Cooperatives (MSC).
Metro ECSU Membership
Active membership in Metro ECSU is open to each public school district which has chosen to join the cooperative by paying the appropriate membership fees. With membership districts can participate and vote in the governance of the co-op.More Information